The Honourable Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Sunday Dare has over the past 3 years developed far-reaching policy initiatives for Youth and Sports Development that is quite unprecedented in recent history. Below are a synopsis of the conceptualised policies:
1. National Sports industry Policy (NSIP). The Honourable Minister held multiple sessions to achieve the success of The NSIP. In less than two years, with hardwork and dedication, the FG to reclassified Sports as business. The final draft of the NSIP submitted to the Ministry of Justice for final review is a document that is expected to bring revolution to the entire sports industry. This will eventually impact on many players. It is a practical policy.
2. Football Master Plan Committee.
The Honorable Minister set this up after approval from President Muhammadu Buhari. Our football development had been drifting for years, with no plan or policy. The committee was set up in October. It is expected to submit its report first week of May, 2022
3. Adopt An Athlete Initiative
Through this initiative of Minister Sunday Dare, athletes received direct financial support in naira and dollars.
4. Adopt a Sport Facility Initiative: This initiative revived the Abuja stadium, brought it back after 11 years neglect. It has now become the center of major sports activities.
Likewise, Surulere Stadium is on its way back after 19 years of total abandonment. This will be achieved based on Public Private Partnership (PPP) policy.
5. Return of the National Sports Commission NSC – this is waiting for President’s assent.
6. Talent Hunt Program (THP) We have about 10 young stars from this program.
7. The Ministry has Developed a plan to restore Long Distance Races (LDR) amongst Nigerians. Training grounds will be revived in the Northern part of the
Country; Pankshin and the Mambila Plateau. It will be hashtagged #RunNigeria.
8. The Ministry Initiated an Athlete Relief Fund (ARF) with N11million. Till date 220 athletes have benefited from this initiative
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT POLICIES AND INITIATIVES
1.Establishment of the Nigerian Youth Investment Fund, NYIF to the tune of N75b for three years. This is the first of its kind to support and give soft loans to young entrepreneurs.
2. DEEL ( Digital Skills Acquisition. Employability): this is a strategy document on Training into Enterprise, Entrepreneurship and Leadership Training. DEEL has been fully operative in the last 2 and half years.
3. Ministry of Youth and Sports Development signed 2 major MOUs on Youth Development within the last 4 months of 2022.
4. The Presidents of Turkey and South Africa came to Nigeria to sign these Youth Exchange and Development MOU. This is unprecedented.
We held the first ever National Youth Conference NYC with youths from all over Nigeria on Youth Inclusiveness in Government, employment and security.